The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) works with partners across the Chesapeake region to promote renewable energy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and stop the expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure. Our campaigns focus on passing legislation that will dramatically reduce climate change pollution across the region, while cleaning up our air, improving the health of our communities, and creating good-paying new jobs.
We’re looking for smart, talented students for spring internships to stand up and take climate action. This project is focused on eliminating the invasive vines in the entire city of Takoma Park, MD. Along with on the ground work, these interns will be working on further developing the study design for the next generation of the project.
The Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) is the only group in the Chesapeake region of Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. dedicated exclusively to building a powerful grassroots movement to fight climate change. Our mission is to build the kind of movement it will take to put our region on the path to climate stability, while using our proximity to the nation’s capital to inspire action in neighboring states, around the country and around the world.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to engage the community on natural climate solutions through organizing and leading volunteer events
- How to conduct research and collect data related to natural climate solutions (e.g., invasive vines management)
- How to turn that research into compelling public campaign materials
- Community outreach practices
- The process of developing policy and programs related to climate change
- Methods of conducting outreach to garner support for campaigns
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A driving passion to address the causes of climate change
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A familiarity with plants, or a willingness to learn
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong dedication to justice, equity, and inclusion
- A willingness to work hard
- A self-starter who can balance multiple projects at once
This internship is based in Takoma Park, MD and is open to anyone with transportation to that area.
Internships are typically 15-20 hours per week from January through May. Exact timing to be determined based on your course schedule. Interns must be available to help lead events on Saturday mornings.
Internships at CCAN are primarily education-focused, to arm you with experience toward your career and life goals. Interns receive a limited reimbursement for incidental expenditures. We encourage you to pursue course credit for this internship, or external grant opportunities if those are available, and we will support these pursuits in any way we can.
APPLY NOW TO INTERN WITH US
To apply, please fill out this Google Form Application by 11:59 PM ET, November 21, 2021.